For nearly twelve years, consumers have been coming to Yelp to find great local businesses. Now, more than ever, it’s easy to find the best tapas restaurant, dog groomer, dentist or plumber in your area through Yelp, thanks to millions of reviews from our global community of locals. It’s been an exciting journey, and we are over the moon about our latest milestone: Yelpers have now written 100 million reviews!
The very first Yelp review was contributed way back in October 2004 by Jon B. for Kabuki Springs & Spa in San Francisco. Since that first review, Yelp has established thriving communities in more than 120 cities worldwide, spanning 32 countries, five continents and, thanks to Yelp’s mobile translation feature, 18 languages. All of this has brought us to the 100 millionth Yelp review, a five-star literary gem contributed by Yelp Elite Evelyn K. for Crocheron Park, a public park in Bayside, NY.
We’d like to personally say thank you to Evelyn K. and all of the Yelpers out there for sharing your experiences. It’s amazing to think that millions of people every day are relying on your reviews to find great local businesses, and those businesses are gaining valuable feedback they can act on to deliver a quality customer experience. Those in-depth reviews and the passionate people who write them are what distinguish Yelp from other review sites. Our community of users turned Yelp into a must-have app that has transcended the status of startup to become a cultural guide post (every other day there seems to be a new “Yelp for something”). Your reviews are driving revenue to small businesses, supporting the local economies in so many unique communities around the globe.
The world has changed a lot since 2004 (there were no iPhones! 😯 ), and how we communicate and share information will continue to drive more change. What will never change is the importance of connecting with real experiences and discovering great new businesses, and Yelp will always be here for that. From starting out as a desktop-only site in 2004, to receiving a mobile review every 2.5 seconds by the end of 2015, we’ve shifted to embrace a mobile-driven culture and we’re always improving to make sure people have the best experience possible.
Before we look to the future, let’s take a minute to appreciate what it means to reach 100 million reviews. There’s a lot of history behind those words!
- Yelpers have written roughly 10 billion words, which would take one person 146 years to read aloud.
- Shila B., a Yelper Elite in Vancouver, Canada has written more than 8,000 reviews to date.
- Los Angeles, CA restaurant and bakery Bottega Louie is the most popular and most photogenic business, with more than 12,000 reviews and 17,000 photos contributed to the business’ page.
- By the end of 2015, 70% of searches on Yelp came from mobile devices across the globe.
- From 2014 to 2015, there was a 66% increase in the number of reviews submitted via mobile, and by 2015 more than 1.5 million businesses had more than 50% of their reviews coming in from mobile.
- As of March 2016, 2,371 businesses on Yelp had more than 1,000 reviews, and all of them have an average rating of 4 stars.
- Get Your Move On in Phoenix, Arizona is the most responsive business on Yelp, responding publicly or privately to 100% of reviews.
- Yelp SeatMe has seated more than 109 million people, and users have ordered nearly 12 million pizzas through Yelp Eat24.
Of course, our journey doesn’t stop here. Thanks to our enthusiastic Yelp community, we’ve surpassed 100 million reviews. Here’s to 100 million and counting!