Editor’s note: This information hub was last updated on August 28, 2020.
As our country begins reopening, we’ve collected some of the best resources we’ve found to help businesses navigate the process of adjusting their operations in response to the Coronavirus—from a COVID-19 mythbusters series to a guidance tool that helps you determine if you’re ready to reopen.
As the reopening regulations continue to evolve, we encourage you to learn and strictly follow all local and state regulations and laws that apply to reopening and operations, as well as guidance from trusted organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Be sure to also keep your website and Yelp page up to date for your customers as you adapt and change your operations.
If you have questions or if there is anything we can do to help, get in touch by logging into your Yelp for Business account for Yelp contact details. Our customer success and account teams are fully staffed and ready to assist.
Resources for all businesses
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) continues to release general and industry-specific guidance regarding the reopening of businesses:
- This mythbusters series from the World Health Organization (WHO) helps dispel false claims about COVID-19.
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has preparation material: Ready to Reopen: A Playbook for Your Small Business. They are also constantly updating the State-by-State Business Reopening Guidance (Coast also has this state-by-state coverage).
- Many companies are offering free tools, tips, and resources—from online business services to cybersecurity—which we’ve collected to help get them into the hands of the businesses that need them.
- California’s small businesses are the beneficiaries of a state-wide push to #ShopSafeShopLocal in July. The campaign features free resources and offers for businesses.
Finance and legal
- Financial support is still available and new opportunities continue to surface for small businesses as shared by the Small Business Association (SBA):
- Free legal documents and resources are available for download in Rocket Lawyer’s hub for business owners—there’s even an “ask a lawyer” chat box for your COVID-19 legal questions.
- Small business loan through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)—this application process is now closed
Marketing and communication
- Read about how you can manage and maintain your marketing strategies and budgets during the downturn.
- Update these seven places on your Yelp Business Page to communicate important information, help you complete your profile, and appear more frequently in searches.
- Be sure you’re keeping the communication lines open with your staff.
- With online activity booming, it’s important to build and maintain your social media strategy.
- As the economic landscape slowly moves toward the “new normal,” try these marketing and operational tips and strategies to help ease the transition.
Safety and sanitation
- P&G Professional shares the importance of cleaning protocols during COVID-19 as well as the clear communication of those actions.
- P&G Professional also hosts a number of guides to help maintain cleanliness and sanitation in the workplace:
- Many businesses look a little different upon reopening—from protective shields to sidewalk dining. Check out these examples of how businesses are keeping their staff and guests safe.
Resources for restaurants and bars
In addition to the resources below, we’ve also published a more comprehensive guide for restaurants, including Yelp strategies and tools for marketing and operations, interviews with restaurant industry experts on the Full Comp podcast, and more.
- The CDC released a specific guide for restaurants and bars including a reopening decision tool.
- Oyster Sunday’s comprehensive critical path outlines the key foundational tasks required to help restaurants and bars navigate the process of reopening, including a task checklist to help you stay on track within each segment of your operations (vendors, technology contracts, external marketing, etc.).
- The National Restaurant Association (NRA) provides their own reopening guidance, including food safety tips and hygiene resources and downloads.
- Hong Kong restaurant group Black Sheep Restaurants released their COVID-19 Playbook, which has been adopted worldwide and contains an array of guidance from hygiene to guest relations.
- With distancing measures required for reopening, these tips will help you provide low-contact service.
- Maintaining your online presence is crucial now and for the long haul—consider hosting online classes, like a virtual cooking class.
- Takeout is also here to stay, even for restaurants not previously operating that way. Yelp Waitlist has helped restaurants structure and organize their takeout service.
Resources for beauty, health, and active
- Spa reopening toolkit from ISPA, which includes multiple tools like a staff support checklist and downloadable templates.
- The American Industrial Hygiene Association® (AIHA®) published reopening guidance for hair and nail salons as well as gyms and workout facilities.
- American Spa published an array of spa sanitation resources, including the spa and salon reopening series and the ultimate guide to spa sanitation.
- We revealed new beauty data to show what people are searching for now and what trends are on the rise.
- Read and listen to how Ritual Hot Yoga adapted to meet the new demands of the community during COVID-19 and what they are planning to do when shelter-in-place orders begin to lift.
The information above is provided for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice and may not be suitable for your circumstances. Unless stated otherwise, references to third-party links, services, or products do not constitute endorsement by Yelp.