On Friday, December 17, Yelp’s LGBT employee alliance and Out & Equal invited 25 leaders of various LGBT employee resource groups for a breakfast meeting. We wanted to get to know each other and talk about the opportunities and challenges we all face in our groups.
What did we talk about?
- The wider purpose of an LGBT resource group?
- How can we recruit new members and how can we engage existing members?
- Good ways to engage allies in our work?
- Internal events and activities that have worked well?
- Good opportunities to partner up with other LGBT organizations?
- How can we advance LGBT-related company policies such as gender-neutral bathrooms or equal-opportunity hiring practices?
This was the first “Queer Morning” and was only the beginning. We’re looking forward to organizing the next event in early 2017. Do you or your company want to take part? Send an email to Uli Bilke, co-chair of OUTburst, Yelp’s LGBT organization.
Lastly, shoutout to Anne from Backhaus who kindly donated delicious pretzel croissants (yum!), breakfast rolls, and pastries.