The craft beer revolution shows no sign of slowing down. Today, you can find innovative breweries in every single state, coast to coast. And the Midwest is certainly no exception. So, we scoured Yelp data to bring you the top five breweries in each Midwestern state that left Yelpers raving and thirsty for one more round.
Methodology: This is an all-time list of the best breweries in the Midwest according to Yelp. We identified businesses in the breweries category. “Best” is measured using an algorithm that looks at the number of reviews and star rating for a business. This list looked at businesses in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.
No. 1: Argus Brewery, Chicago, IL
“You must visit Argus Brewery if you want to experience an actual fun brewery tour. The guys giving the tour are hilarious and their beer is awesome with a wide, diverse selection.” – Christian C.
2. Begyle Brewing, Chicago, IL
3. Lagunitas Brewing Company, Chicago, IL
4. Kinslahger Brewing Company, Chicago, IL
5. Pipeworks Brewing Company, Chicago, IL
No. 1: Iechyd Da Brewing Company, Elkhart, IN
“This is a local brewery that does it right. Kept the menu small to make sure they knew how to make everything… The Double IPA was fantastic and for my wife who doesn’t like beer they had a great tasting Blueberry Cider!” – Ben B.
2. Sun King Brewery, Indianapolis, IN
3. Deviate Brewing, Indianapolis, IN
4. Bier Brewery and Tap Room, Indianapolis, IN
5. Junk Ditch Brewing Company, Fort Wayne, IN
No. 1: Jubeck New World Brewing, Dubuque, IA
“The beer was PHENOMENAL and for a stellar price. My husband and I hung around for a few beers and a flight… We’re new to town, but have definitely found a place we’ll be frequenting!” – Hannah P.
2. Iowa Brewing Company, Cedar Rapids, IA
3. Big Grove Brewpub, Solon, IA
4. Pulpit Rock Brewing, Decorah, IA
5. Confluence Brewing Company, Des Moines, IA
No. 1: Central Standard Brewing, Wichita, KS
“My favorite was their Hop Theory, a dry hopped sour. Next was the Wizard of Hops IPA and its bigger brother Spiral Galaxy. Loved the to-go crowlers we grabbed a couple to enjoy later. If visiting Wichita this is a ‘must stop’ brewery.” – Kevin T.
2. Radius Brewing Company, Emporia, KS
3. Gella’s Diner & Lb Brewing, Hays, KS
4. Aero Pains Brewing, Wichita, KS
5. Free State Brewing Company, Lawrence, KS
No. 1: The Filling Station Microbrewery, Traverse City
“We have been visiting The Filling Station since they opened, long before the hysteria caught on and EVERYONE decided this was the place to go for good craft beer and artisan pizza.” – Michelle N.
2. Batch Brewing Company, Detroit, MI
3. One Well Brewing, Kalamazoo, MI
4. Short’s Brewing Company, Bellaire, MI
5. Blackrocks Brewery, Marquette, MI
No. 1: Junkyard Brewing Company, Moorhead, MN
“Junkyard has done a great job both in setting up their taproom but also all of the beer varieties they’ve developed. There was just something very comfortable about hanging out at Junkyard and having a beer.” – John M.
2. Dangerous Man Brewing Co., Minneapolis, MN
3. Inbound BrewCo., Minneapolis, MN
4. Headflyer Brewing, Minneapolis, MN
5. Lakeville Brewing Company, Lakeville, MN
No. 1: Boulevard Brewing, Kansas City, MO
“What a gem in the middle of Kansas City! This is a must see if you live the KC metro area and enjoy a great beer!” – Ced L.
2. The Civil Life Brewing Company, St. Louis, MO
3. Crane Brewing Company, Raytown, MO
4. Urban Research Brewery, St. Louis, MO
5. Public House Brewing Company, Saint James, MO
No. 1: Kros Strain Brewing, La Vista, NE
“Kros Strain makes Omaha’s best beer…Fairy Nectar. They have grown very quickly, from microbrewery to bottled beer to expanding. And the selection is huge.” – Jonathan N.
2. Pals Brewing Company, North Platte, NE
3. Boiler Brewing Company, Lincoln, NE
4. Vis Major Brewing Co., Omaha, NE
5. Zipline Brewing Company, Lincoln, NE
No. 1: Laughing Sun Brewing, Bismark, ND
“Brewmaster Mike Froelich has been able to ramp up production without losing his touch! From sours to IPAs to porters to stouts, there’s nothing that comes out of those vats that isn’t delicious, and a cut above anything else I’ve had in the state.” – Paul H.
2. Drekker Brewing, Fargo, ND
3. Half Brothers Brewing, Grand Forks, ND
4. The Fargo Brewing Company, Fargo, ND
5. Souris River Brewing, Minot, ND
No. 1: Noble Beast Brewing, Cleveland, OH
“I first came here on Friday, then came back Sunday, now back after work today. It’s safe to say I found a favorite place. They have an a great kitchen and amazing beer!” – Mark S.
2. Rockmill Brewery, Lancaster, OH
3. Buckeye Lake Brewery, Buckeye Lake, OH
4. Mother Stewarts Brewing, Springfield, OH
5. Staas Brewing Company, Delaware, OH
No.1: Lost Cabin Beer, Rapid City, SD
“This brewery blows all the others in the area out of the water… My suggestions are the Father in Lager, Bruce Banner and Woodshop #4 IPA. But honestly every beer they have is extremely solid and worth trying.” – Josh D.
2. Wooden Legs Brewing Company, Brookings, SD
3. Remedy Brewing, Sioux Falls, SD
4. Hay Camp Brewing Company, Rapid City, SD
5. WoodGrain Brewing Company, Sioux Falls, SD
No. 1: Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee, WI
“The tour at Lakefront is unmatched! Such an enthusiastic, slightly crass, and brilliantly informative guide led us through the brewery, making each stop one part stand-up, one part teaching. The beer is great and the food too.” – Carolyn P.
2. Milwaukee Brewing Company, Milwaukee, WI
3. Vennture Brew, Milwaukee, WI
4. Eagle Park Brewing, Milwaukee, WI
5. Raised Grain Brewing, Milwaukee, WI
Explore the Midwest beer scene and find your favorite new brewery. Here’s a handy Yelp bookmark collection of all the top-rated spots from this post.