From our roots in manufacturing to the recent renaissance of artisanal production, Brooklyn has always been a hub of creativity and industry. We want to shine a spotlight on this abundance of local ingenuity and determination, which is why we've launched the Brooklyn Born of events. Last night, we met up with the fantastic folks behind Knickerbocker MFG! It was a fun and educational evening, so check out how it went in the reviews, and read on for 10 things we learned!
1. Like Stephanie says, "Ever hear the saying "cooler than the other side of the pillow? Well that would describe Kyle and Daniel!" They rock.
2. Handmade, quality goods are being produced in NYC. You've just got to know where to look. (Here.)
3. When it's hot outside, beer tastes good.
4. Having a middle-aged Dominican mentor is good for anyone.
5. A skate ramp and a ping-pong table are good additions to any office.
6. The Knickerbocker MFG space is amazing, and quite masculine, apparently.
7. Leatherworking is sweaty, sweaty work. At least when it's 90+ degrees outside.
8. As Rosemary V can relate, Knickerbocker MFG focuses "on making quality hand-made products which you rarely see in today's mass-production era."
9. Keychains are so much better when you make your own.
10. If you want to learn more awesome stuff from people who know what they are doing, take one of Knickerbocker MFG's workshops here! Use the discount code YELP to save a little cash.
A huge thanks to Dan & Kyle for showing us what Knickerbocker MFG is all about, and we hope to see you again soon!