When actress and comedienne Kym Whitley was ready to give her home office a makeover, she knew just who to call. Kym worked with Yelp’s Home Editor Lauren Makk to give her office a gorgeous, family-friendly update.
Before the renovation, the space doubled as part gym and part office. A few cosmetic updates — including fresh paint and curtains — revamped the room to serve as a functional home office for mother, son and dogs too!
If you’re not sure where to begin on your own home office makeover, check out Lauren’s tips on how to kick start a home renovation and watch the full reveal on CMT’s Pickler and Ben below.
- Thinking of painting? Always paint your colors on a large whiteboard instead of on the wall. Hang them up in the room and watch the color change during the day. Move the sample to different walls to see how it catches the light before making a final decision. Enlist the help of a painter for your project.
- Rethink your floors. Kym’s original space had a light colored carpet, which wasn’t ideal for what she wanted. Hiring a contractor to install new flooring in a dark wood elevated the space. Installing new flooring can be a challenge, especially if you’re new to home renovations. You can find an experienced flooring expert on Yelp and request a quote to find the right professional for your needs.
- Add curtains. Curtains are an underrated touch that make a room feel more elevated. Just make sure your curtains are longer than just the window. If the height of the room is 96 inches, purchase curtains that are 96 inches and hang them higher/wider than the window. It never hurts to have things look a little bigger than they are. This gives the illusion that the window is bigger than it really is, which makes the room feel larger too. You can find a wide range of curtain options at Homegoods.
- Throw in a little green. Adding a houseplant or two can add a natural splash of color to a workspace. Try mixing and matching your planters with different plants like succulents and trees from a local nursery.
- Don’t forget your accents. New dishes, pillows or other decor are a great non-committal way to add your favorite colors — and won’t hit your pockets too deep when you’re renovating a space. Try buying a vase or pillow in your favorite color to add personality.
Interior design and life stylist, Lauren Makk is Yelp’s Home Editor. You may recognize Lauren from TLC’s “Trading Spaces,” ABCs “FAB Life” and OWN’s “Home Made Simple.” Now as a part of the Yelp family, she’ll be sharing how you can use Yelp to create incredible, affordable transformations in your home. You can find more tips from Lauren here.