First of all, congratulations! You’re a new business owner! Now it’s time to start thinking about putting your business out there and getting customers. 97% of consumers go online to find a local business, and 86% of consumers read reviews for local businesses, so you’ve come to the right place.
What is Yelp?
Yelp is essentially the modern, online version of the yellow pages. When people are searching for a great local business, Yelp provides nearby recommendations and acts as a local business directory. Yelp offers all businesses the opportunity to attract customers through online word of mouth to reach people who are actively searching and intending to make a purchase. So whenever people are searching for a great local business, Yelp will most likely be a part of the conversation.
- Who is on Yelp? On average, there are over 35 million unique monthly users on the Yelp mobile app. Yelp users, also known as “Yelpers,” are primarily between 35-54, and nearly half of all Yelp users have an income over $100k a year.* Check out our Fast Facts for more stats about Yelp users.
- What are they looking for? Everything! Yelp is more than just a restaurant review site. Consumers can use Yelp to find almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques, and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers, and more.
- How are they using Yelp? Consumers use Yelp via the app, mobile site, and website. They can use Yelp in 32 countries around the world. Since Yelp has such a large network of partners, Yelp data is integrated into searches on Apple products and across a number of other partners.
- When are they using Yelp? When they’re ready to buy! Yelp is at the very end of the decision-making process. 97% of people spend money with a business they find on Yelp.
- Why are they using Yelp? To find the best business to meet their needs. The mission of Yelp is to connect people with great local businesses. Consumers turning to Yelp are looking for a great local business like yours, and they’re looking to buy. That means you’re tapping into an audience passionate about making an educated decision on where to spend their money.
How to create a Yelp Page
The best time to create a Yelp page is when you open for business. Although, you can submit a new page up to a month before your open date. Here are the simple steps:
- Go to www.biz.yelp.com/claim, and type in your business name. If you don’t see your business, click “Add to Yelp for free,” and fill out your business details.
- Create a free business user account by entering an email address and password. You should use an email address you check regularly to stay on top of what’s happening with your page.
- Verify your account by entering your verification code. You’ll get an email or call to the number listed on your page.
Follow the prompts in your account to complete your page, and be sure to avoid these common mistakes. You’ll be notified once your business page is verified which can take a few business days.
Managing your Yelp Page
Managing your Yelp presence is easier than ever with the tools provided to business owners.
- Add photos and customize your online storefront.
- Track your customer activity. For example, you can see when customers view your Yelp page or take secondary actions like call your business.
- Fill your page with business information such as hours, history, and specialties.
- Download the Yelp for Business app so you can track your traffic.
- Take a minute to respond to your new customers if they write you a review.
*As of March 31, 2020, Yelp Fast Facts
The information above is provided for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice and may not be suitable for your circumstances. Unless stated otherwise, references to third-party links, services, or products do not constitute endorsement by Yelp.