To support and celebrate Black-owned businesses across the country, we’ve gathered an array of resources, inspirational stories, on-demand videos, and more.
Hear from Black business leaders, experts, and entrepreneurs on everything from ways to fund your business to networking your way to business growth.
Did you know?
Business owners can add the “Black-owned” attribute to display on their Yelp Page. This free, searchable attribute helps consumers find and support Black-owned businesses in their communities.
If you are an Black-owned business and want to add the attribute to your Yelp Page and to appear in “Black-owned” search results, you can opt-in via your Yelp for Business account by following these simple steps:
- Log in to Yelp for Business (Business Information tab)
- In the Amenities section, click Add or Edit
- Select Yes next to “Black-owned”
- Click Save
This attribute is an opt-in only feature, as the decision to identify as Black-owned should rest solely with the business.
Black-owned attribute boosts engagement and revenue
Since Yelp launched the Black-owned attribute in 2020, businesses that adopted it saw an increase in customer engagement and reviews, leading to real economic gains. A 2023 Harvard Business School study found that:
- Black-owned businesses with the attribute saw an increase of more than 30% in both total restaurant orders and revenue on Yelp
- Black-owned restaurants saw a 33% spike in page views after the feature was added
- Black-owned shops saw a 10% increase in the number of weekly visits
Did you know?
- You can add unlimited attributes to your page to help you identify your business, including Open to All, Asian-owned, Latinx-owned, LGBTQ-owned, Women-owned, veteran-owned, and more. Add your choice of attributes by following the same instructions as above.
- In 2022, we hosted our second annual Black in Business Summit for Black entrepreneurs looking to learn how to build and grow their business, while tackling the unique challenges they face. Watch the session recordings with headliner Wayne Brady. You can also rewatch the 2021 Black in Business Summit, featuring Pinky Cole, CEO and founder of Slutty Vegan, and Nicole Gibbons, CEO of online paint store Clare.
Hear stories collected over the past year from these Black-owned businesses and industry experts—from a boxing gym in Los Angeles to urban honey in Ohio.
A media firm that specializes in creating opportunities for and educating Black business owners across four channels (publishing, digital, broadcast, and events) to facilitate wealth building.
Black Girl Ventures
A resource for Black and brown woman-identifying founders that provides access to networking opportunities, capital, and training.
Provides founders with access to advice, mentorship, networking, and funding opportunities with a focus on technology entrepreneurship.
The Black Business Alliance
Works with small- and medium-sized Black and minority businesses to promote growth by addressing the gap in business access to funding, educational resources, and capacity building.
Minority Business Development Agency
Part of the U.S. Department of Commerce, the MDBA provides minority-owned businesses with access to capital, contracts, and global markets.
National Minority Supplier Development Council
Focuses on minority-owned business growth to advance economic equity and provides access to contracts and procurement opportunities, access to capital, and a Federal MBE designation.
Tools for allies
- A Black Owned Business Directory
- Official Black Wall Street
- We Buy Black
- Support Black Owned
- My Black Receipt
Read more about the impactful things you can do on your Yelp Business Page and beyond to communicate with your customers, increase business, and more.
We're sorry you didn't find this post valuable.
How could we improve it?
The information above is provided for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice and may not be suitable for your circumstances. Unless stated otherwise, references to third-party links, services, or products do not constitute endorsement by Yelp.