Leave that sad sandwich at the terminal! If you are one of the millions of travelers who will be traveling by air this Thanksgiving season, there is no need to prime your turkey day palate with a ho-hum meal.
This holiday season, Yelp polled community managers from across the country to determine the best airport eats across the U.S. Whether you crave piping hot pizzas or James Beard award winning fare, feast your eyes and ready your bookmarks for some first class food. Layovers never looked this good before.
Atlanta (ATL) – Gate D5: Chicken + Beer
- Quell your travelling woes with some southern comfort. Owned by Atlanta bred rapper Ludacris, this James Beard award contender restaurant pairs reimagined southern classics and local beers.
- Yelper favorites: Luda’s chicken + waffles, fried catfish sandwich, short rib mac n’ cheese
Austin (AUS) – West Terminal Gate 21: The Salt Lick BBQ
- Forget to bring something for your dear Aunt Mabel? The Salt Lick’s signature hot sauce trio makes the perfect hostess gift!
- Yelper favorites: Sliced brisket, jalapeno brisket tacos, chopped beef sandwich
Charleston (CHS): Mama Chef Cuban Cafe
- Travelers get a taste of Cuba at this airport stand dishing up pastries filled with exotic flavors
- Yelper favorites: Cuban coffee and pastelitos filled with guava, cream cheese, strawberry, or Bavarian cream
Chicago (ORD) – Terminal 1, Concourse C: Berghoff Cafe
- Complete with Tiffany stained glass lamps, this satellite location of Chicago Loop’s Berghoff Cafe is dishing up hot carved reuben sandwiches on freshly baked bread.
- Yelper favorites: Reuben sandwich, hot carved roast beef sandwich, and Cuban sandwich
Denver (DIA) – Concourse C: Root Down
- It’s not hard to stick to your diet at this globally influenced restaurant featuring an array of vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options using locally farmed and organic ingredients as much as possible.
- Yelper favorites: Colorado lamb sliders, beet and goat cheese salad, banh mi turkey burger
El Paso (ELP) – Carlos & Mickeys
- Voted best margarita in El Paso, this is the spot to quench your thirst and tame your tummy before jumping on an airplane
- Yelper favorites: Enchiladas, margaritas, burritos
Houston (IAH) – The Breakfast Klub
- Your morning travels just got a bit sunnier with this Houston outpost celebrating all things breakfast!
- Yelper favorites: Wings and waffles, katfish and grits, biskits and gravy
Indianapolis (IND): Concourse A – Harry & Izzy’s
- Eat shrimp cocktail at THE spot that put it on the map!
- Yelper favorites: St. Elmo shrimp cocktail, filet sliders, St. Elmo prime rib pizza
Phoenix (PHX): Terminal 4: La Grande Orange
- Dreading that in-flight meal? Fuel up with simple and clean pizzas, salads, sandwiches and baked goods at this Phoenix legend
- Yelper favorites: Shredded kale salad and quinoa, commuter sandwich, sea salt chocolate chip cookies
Washington, DC (DCA) – Terminal C: &pizza
- Custom hand crafted pizza with premium ingredients such as hot honey, homemade mozzarella, truffle mushrooms and more! Gluten free and dairy free options are also available.
- Yelper favorites: Moonstruck, American Honey, Maverick, Farmer’s Daughter
Photography by: PHOTOGRAPHY VIA YELP.COM FROM THE BUSINESS OWNER (CHICKEN + BEER); YELPER ELISE R (SALT LICK BBQ); YELPER RON P (BERGHOFF CAFE); YELPER LYNN A (THE BREAKFAST KLUB); FROM THE BUSINESS OWNER (&PIZZA)