It’s safe to assume that you’re familiar with the hushed restaurant conversation that occurs after a drool-worthy dish arrives at your neighbor’s table. It’s usually followed by a frantic comparison to the menu, and a question to your server while you attempt to discreetly point at a stranger’s meal.
We’re all too familiar with this experience and we just so happen to know what you should order at nearly every restaurant. Today, we’re introducing Popular Dishes on Yelp to take the guesswork out of ordering just the right thing. When visiting a restaurant’s page on the Yelp iOS or Android apps, you’ll see a restaurant’s most popular dishes, including the dish names, photos and review snippets.
With the help of machine learning, we’re able to scour more than 100 million photos and reviews from the Yelp community to suss out the most popular dishes — so you don’t have to.
Download the latest version of Yelp on iOS or Android to start exploring Popular Dishes today!
To celebrate the launch, we’ve also pulled the top 10 most popular dishes from across the U.S. Check out the best of the best, below.
1. New England Clam Chowder at Pike Place Chowder in Seattle, WA
2. Pork Buns at Ippudo East Village in New York, NY
3. Maine Lobster Roll at Neptune Oyster in Boston, MA
4. Tea Leaf Salad at Burma Superstar in San Francisco, CA
5. Wood Oven Roasted Pig Face at Girl & the Goat in Chicago, IL
6. Crab Legs at Bacchanal Buffet in Las Vegas, NV
7. Chargrilled Oysters at Acme Oyster House in New Orleans, LA
8. Uni Pasta at EMC Seafood & Raw Bar in Los Angeles, CA
9. Lewellyn’s Fine Fried Chicken at Yardbird Southern Table & Bar in Miami Beach, FL
10. Curry Udon at Marukame Udon in Honolulu, HI
Methodology: This is a list of the most popular dishes from around the county. “Most popular” is measured using an algorithm that looks at the number of times a dish is mentioned in reviews and the star rating for a business, among other things. All the businesses on this list are in the restaurants category on Yelp.