Detroit Institute of Art (Photo by Yelper Young P)
If you find yourself traveling to all corners of the mainland this holiday or need a break from the in-laws, then it’s time to get lost in the best museums across the U.S. Enrich your mind, discover ancient hidden treasures, and revel in modern art you’d think was inspired by your kindergarten pottery project — ‘tis the season to curate an experience for the most curious of minds.
The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, MO
- Locals rave about the museum grounds, specifically the sculpture gardens including giant shuttlecocks. Even better, museum admission is free. Roam the halls to see art ranging from ancient Egypt to contemporary.
National Museum of the Marine Corps, Triangle, VA
- This museum honors the United States Marine Corps and perfect for any age with its informative historical films and interactive exhibits.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY
- You’ll find everything from exhibits featuring fashion from famous designers to ancient Greek sculptures and the chance to walk into a living room concepted by Frank Lloyd Wright. Entrance to the museum is donation based.
National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton, OH
- For the aero-fanatic, this museum houses full-size aircrafts across the war eras. Some exhibits allow you to tour inside the airplanes. Admission is free!
National World War I Museum and Memorial, Kansas City, MO
- World War I history buffs rejoice! Find yourself getting lost in the exhibits that recreate the view from the trenches and display thousands of archived documents and objects from wartime in the early 1900s.
The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, OH
- CMA houses fine art collections from artists like Monet, Van Gogh, Matisse, and more. Their special events and music performances are not to miss. Plus, admission is free!
High Scores Arcade, Alameda, CA
- For the people who grew up in the ‘80s, this interactive arcade museum will tug at the nostalgia heart strings with its expansive collection of video and arcade games from the decades when it all began. Even better, you can play all day for $10. The arcade features games like Tron and the original Donkey Kong.
Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum, Oklahoma City, OK
- A touching tribute and chronological story honoring those we lost at the hands of violence following the bombing of Oklahoma City’s Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in 1995.
Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, MI
- DIA houses an expansive collection with more than 60,000 works of art on display. One notable exhibit includes the Rivera Court, whose walls are decorated with the Detroit Industry fresco by the Mexican muralist.
Huntington Library Art Collections & Botanical Gardens, San Marino, CA
- The library is home to thousands of rare books and manuscripts, including a copy of the Gutenberg Bible. If you’re fleeing cold weather over winter break, spend a few hours admiring the Japanese gardens, conservatory, and desert garden.
To create this list, Yelp data scientists ranked U.S. businesses categorized as museums on Yelp based on number of reviews and overall star rating.